Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Anemia during pregnancy : is it normal?

Based on information gathered from multiple sources and (may be) simplified for easy understanding 😁

I am in my 32nd weeks of pregnancy and undergoing monthly check-up at the government clinic. Each check up turned out good before, with no serious problems (except for the fluctuating body weight). But during the last check up, I was shocked when my blood check tells me I have low hb (hemoglobin), which leads to anemia.

I didn't know it was serious until the staff nurse referred me to the doctor, and I was provided with multiple supplements I have never consumed before. Just in case you wonder, check-up at the government clinic, though is 'troublesome', is thorough.They'll check your sugar level in your urine, hb, blood pressure, body weight, baby movement etc. Thus the long wait, like everytime.

Back from the clinic, I started to do research about anemia. In fact, if you are provided with the pink pregnancy book, you can read the info which is provided in the book. The pink book is like your scripture, every information about pregnancy and postnatal is there.

Ok back to the topic. What is anemia?

Anemia is:-

1. a condition marked by a deficiency of red blood cells or of hemoglobin in the blood, resulting in pallor and weariness;

2. condition that develops when your blood lacks enough healthy red blood cells or hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a main part of red blood cells and binds oxygen. If you have too few or abnormal red blood cells, or your hemoglobin is abnormal or low, the cells in your body will not get enough oxygen.


 
  
What is the normal / abnormal hb?


My hb during the last check-up was 9.7 😞 so it's moderate anemia.

What causes anemia?

There are more than 400 types of anemia, which are divided into three groups:
  • Anemia caused by blood loss
  • Anemia caused by decreased or faulty red blood cell production
  • Anemia caused by destruction of red blood cells 
Click HERE for the elaboration of each groups.

In short, these are the causes of anemia:


  



Symptoms of anemia?

Symptoms common to many types of anemia include the following:


Well, I have almost all the symptoms but I didn't realize it's anemia 😑

For the other symptoms that associated with specific forms of anemia, click HERE or HERE.

Combating anemia!

 Ok I'll put this in pictures form.





However, there are certain foods that prevent iron absorbtion. I didn't know this until I told the staff nurse that I eat green vegetables, meat & fish every day, so it is impossible for my hb to go that low.

Here are the reasons why:-



Foods to avoid if you have anemia:-

No matter how much cravings you have for these foods, try to avoid taking or at least, limit the consumption of soft drinks, wheat flour, fast foods, coffee, tea, alcohol, etc. 


Effects of anemia during pregnancy:-

Ok, I am not trying to scare anybody here but this is real. If the anemia is severe, it might (or might not) lead to:-

 
In summary, mild anemia during pregnancy is normal because during pregnancy, our body produces more blood to support the growth of our baby. If we're not getting enough iron or certain other nutrients, our body might not be able to produce the amount of red blood cells it needs to make this additional blood.

Watch your meal intake, and consult your doctor if the symptoms prolong or getting more serious.

Disclaimer : I am not a doctor or anything in between, the information I put here might not be accurate, so rajin-rajinlah membaca sumber lain or ask your doctor for confirmation. Thank you 😉

No comments: